Issue 32 of Huddersfield Local History Society’s Journal is now available.
Current members of the Society receive a free complimentary copy of the journal. However, if we can’t tempt you to join today, you can order a copy of the journal for £4.00 (excluding postage). There is also a downloadable PDF version which has the exact same formatting as the print edition but incurs no extra postage costs.
To order the print copy at £6 including UK postage, please write to HLHS, 24 Sunnybank Rd, Huddersfield, HD3 3DE, enclosing a cheque payable to Huddersfield Local History Society. Overseas purchasers should use the contact form before ordering so that we can advise you on postage cost.
The issue can also be ordered online via our website.
- Class Matters (Robert Piggott)
NEWS AND EVENTS
- Partnership Pages
- Discover Huddersfield
- Kirklees Heritage Forum
- Edward Law History Prize
- The Peaker Sisters (Beverley Norris)
- Lindley’s ‘Coal Master’ – Edward John Wood Waterhouse (Christine Verguson)
- Marsden 1851 – A Year in the Life of the Corn Miller’s Daughter (Steve Challenger)
- “Riders on the Silent Steed”: Cycling’s popularity in early 1890s Huddersfield (Richard Hobson)
- Setting up home in 1933 (Mavis Curtis)
- Two Letters from the West Norfolk Militia in Huddersfield, 1812 (John H. Rumsby)
- The End of the Empire – Stile Common to Karachi, and back again (Don Gardiner)
- Tom Johnson of the Huddersfield Fire Brigade (Chris Smith)
- The Booth Factory Fire 1941 (Richard Heath)
BOOK NOTICES & REVIEWS
- Anne C. Brook, Brian Haigh & Cyril Pearce
OBITUARIES AND DEATH NOTICES
- Professor Mike Page (1944-2021)
Journal cover photos:
- © Andy Hemingway (Castle Hill at Sunset, Buckstones and Pule Hill)
- © Dave Pattern (Cloth Hall Tower and Ravensknowle Park with Tolson Museum)
- © Kirklees Image Archive (Lockwood Viaduct and Huddersfield c. 1960)